Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Low Fat Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Graham Cracker Crust and Crumble Topping

I must say, before I even begin the details of this post, I'm pretty proud of this pie. I've said before I generally prefer to cook vs. bake, but obviously it's still important to find ways to get a good sweet fix without the full calorie and fat versions. So not only was this pie AWESOME and low in fat (almost NO butter!), it also was my very first attempt at a pie. Ever. And I will be making it again. It was a big hit all around.

Unfortunately, I didn't get this posted before my trip, so I don't know how much rhubarb is left right now. My plant has gone dormant with the high temperatures, so I'll likely make this pie again this fall when the rhubarb stalks come back.

Crust:

I used the Low Fat Graham Cracker Crust in my recent post.


Pie filling:
Inspired from this recipe at Eatingwell.com.

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp. instant tapioca granules
  • 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup rhubarb sliced in small chunks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (I used the juice of one freshly squeezed lemon)
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Pinch of salt
Crumble Topping:
Adapted from this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
Directions for entire pie:
  1. Prepare crust based on previous post and set aside to cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Process the tapioca granules in a blender until finely ground.
  4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, tapioca, sugar, lemon, nutmeg and salt. Toss well.
  5. Pour the pie mixture into the pie plate onto the pre-baked graham cracker crust and spread evenly throughout the pie plate.
  6. To prepare the crumble topping, in a small mixing bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter (best if it's still cold) in small chunks, stirring a bit, until it's a crumbly mixture. Distribute the crumble topping evenly over the top of the pie.
  7. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Rotate the pie 180 degrees, reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 30-35 minutes more.
  8. Cool at least 2 hours before serving.
  9. Serve with a dollop of reduced fat whipped cream for a tasty dessert!


Nutritional Information (including the crust):
For 8 servings per pie:
  • 295 calories per slice
  • 4.5 grams of fat
  • 5.4 grams of fiber
About 5 WW points

For 16 servings per pie:
  • 148 calories per slice
  • 2.9 grams of fat
  • 2.7 grams of fiber
About 3 WW points

Note: Nutritional content does not include added whipped topping/ice cream/frozen yogurt.
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment