Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fresh Mango Black Bean Salsa


This recipe has been a long-time coming. The first time I made it I ran out of time and didn't get a photo. The second time my paper with my notes disappeared in some massive home reorganization...so I guess this means third time's the charm! And then I didn't get a chance to blog this before going to France...but it was certainly worth the wait.

No direct recipe credit here. Brainstormed ingredient ideas and tweaked as I made this three times!

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe mangos, diced small
  • 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 - 3/4 red onion, chopped
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a spicier kick, keep some of the seeds)
  • 3 tsp. minced, jarred garlic, or 2 cloves freshly crushed
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • Juice from one (small-med.) orange, or about 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. freshly grated gingerroot
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Salte & pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Dice the mangos and put in a large mixing bowl. For some tips on how to cut up mangos, click here. I find it easiest to peel the mango with a potato peeler, slice off four large chunks around the pit and then dice.
  2. Chop the tomatoes, onion and peppers and add to the bowl. Add the rinsed and drained black beans and toss.
  3. Add the garlic, lime juice, orange juice, ginger, cilantro, salt & pepper and mix well.
  4. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving, to allow time for the flavors to blend.
  5. Serve with tortilla chips.

Review:

I don't think I've mentioned this previously but we're big fans of salsa...good salsa, that is. I'm pretty particular about it because there's some bad salsa out there! This was the first time I'd made something other than a regular tomato salsa and obviously we liked it since I've now made it three times. This is a great light, summery salsa. The lime and orange juices go very well with the mango and ginger flavors to make for a great salsa. Plus, I vote that it goes well with just about anything grill-related.

So far I've taken this salsa to three different social gatherings and it was a hit each time. Needless to say, it's going into the regular rotation!

Nutrition Information:

It's tough to figure out exactly how many servings are in this or the serving size, based on the exact amount of ingredients used, how much the mango yields, etc. But the bottom line is, it's a healthy, tasty option. So here are a few guidelines:

I calculated this entire recipe's information at 707 calories, 3.7 grams of fat and 32.1 grams of fiber (about 14 WW points if you want to eat it all...although I can't imagine anyone would feel very well after doing so!)

I estimate there to be about 10-15 servings per batch. I served it for a gathering of about 20 people and they finished it all.

At 10 servings: 70 calories, .4 grams of fat, 3.2 grams of fiber (about 1 WW point)

At 15 servings: 47 calories, .2 grams of fat, 2.1 grams of fiber (about .5 WW points)

*Count tortilla chips separately.

Enjoy!

Print this post

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try making my own salsa, but I've never gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking recipe. I'm going to try putting it on a sockeye salmon filet when I grill. I have tried various homemade fruit salsas on salmon and the ones with a citrus base do very well. I just put the salmon filet on the grill skin side down, cover with salsa, close the lid and grill on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog Katie! This recipe looks awesome, of course I would probably want to add avacado, eat it with chips and wash it down with a margarita!

    ReplyDelete